How different could your life be as a consultant solicitor?
Have you ever sat down and given serious thought to how different your life could be as a consultant solicitor? If not, why not?!
The benefits are plentiful, and I don’t propose to set them all out here. However, as a consultant lawyer you have the ability to set your own targets, focus more on the clients you want to act for, earn more money, create time to improve your health and do what you want to do, when you want to do it. All of this will lead to being less stressed and you will never have to commute again!
I have recently published a blog which was written to allay lawyers concerns about becoming a consultant, but thought it might be useful to set out what you should do if you have made the decision to become a consultant or are still mulling it over.
Key questions to ask before becoming a consultant lawyer
- Would your clients or at least some of them follow you? If yes, make a note of these including any deeds or documents held. A great tip is to keep a note of all fees you have generated from your key clients or referrals you have made. This will give you a flavour of what your regular income will be.
- Prepare a business plan and get creative. There are numerous ways to make money as a consultant lawyer. You can seek referrals, act as a locum, cover holiday leave, enter into fee sharing arrangements. Don’t limit yourself to a new model law firm who dictates terms rigidly and restricts you and your ability to create income
- Do you have the personality and entrepreneurial spirit to generate more work? If you have clients already then it is likely you do. You will, once released from the daily grind of commuting and internal meetings, have a lot more time to obtain new clients. You will need to have the right attitude and be proactive but surely that is part of the fun.
- In an ideal world you will have a pot of money set aside to keep you going whilst building up your client work. However, this is not a necessity, you can explore our ground breaking nexa assist package which caters for those who may need assistance to begin with.
- Think long and hard about which new model law firm you choose. What is important to you? Do you want to be another number or do you want genuine support? Carefully review what you get offered and read the small print to ensure there are no hidden costs, indemnities or set-up fees. At nexa you get the best bang for your buck and a class leading percentage of what you bill, why give more away?
- Be bold, with the right attitude it will work and you will soon be wondering why you did not do it years ago. With the right support you will thrive and be in charge of your own destiny and not required to just do the work put in front of you.
Why wait – act now!
If you would like to discuss any aspect of becoming a consultant or have any specific queries you would like addressed then please do not hesitate to contact me direct at firstname.lastname@example.org 03300 24 24 20 or 07969 018850 www.nexa.law